Blogger and Wordpress are two most widely used blogging platforms that have various open source scripts and plugins to add widgets like Floating header Bar, Social sharing widgets, Promo boxes etc. There are a lot more plugins available out there to add these functionality to your blog. For example HelloBar ;offers you the floating header bar and popup widgets, ShareThis offers the social sharing widgets. They are designed to be specific for offering only a particular function to your blog. Using these widgets has the following disadvantages
When I was searching a solution for these problems, I found the best available solution.GetSiteControl and thought to share it with you. In this post I'd be explaining the features offered by this site and various kinds of widgets you can create, How to create, customise and target the widgets using GetSiteControl.
GetSiteControl also has some awesome widgets like social sharing buttons, surveys, contact forms, Chat boxes, follow widgets, subscribe boxes. Do try all of these blogger widgets and don't forget to leave a comment.
- These scripts often overload the page and increase the time for rendering the page as they must be obtained from various sources.
- Most of them don't have built-in analytics and option for testing the widgets. Even though some allows to track the user interaction, it again increases the overhead.
- They lack the functionality to target the widgets and control the behaviour of widgets. Like you can't target the popup box to specific users.
|GetSiteControl - Single solution for all blog widgets|
Features of GetSiteControl :
Must-have widgets for any Blog :
GetSiteControl offers all the widgets that are definitely needed for any blog to improve the user interaction and retain the user for a long time on the site. Using GetSiteControl, you can manage contact forms, create surveys, show popup messages, Live chat with users, add follow and share widgets, create a custom header with animation effects.
Easy Installation :
To include all these widgets, all you have to do is signup for a Free account and install the script on your blogger or wordpress template. Here is a detailed guide on installing the widgets on Blogger and on Wordpress.
Works on any Website :
GetSiteControl allows you to place your custom built widgets such as header bar, social sharing widgets, etc. on websites that use WordPress, Blogger, Shopify, Tumblr, Squarespace, Joomla, Weebly, Bigcommerce.
Looks Great on any Site :
These widgets created using GetSiteControl looks awesome on any site and you also have the option to customise the look and feel of the widgets easily through your dashboard. Even you can change the behaviour of the widgets and has targeting options. You can also integrate it with your Google analytics account.
Creating a Floating Header Bar and Pop up box for Blogger
Before proceeding to create a widget, you need to signup for the site and install the script. Once you have installed the code, you are ready to proceed and create the widget that you wish.
To create a Header Bar,
- Open the Site Dashboard and click on "Create widget" button.
- From the drop down, select "Promo" widget.
- You will be taken to the widget customising page. There, in the Appearance tab choose where you want to position your widget (there are 9 different positions to choose from). Make sure that you choose the top header bar i.e the 4th one from left.
- Change the color, font, animation settings as you wish and in the content section, place that content that you want to display in the Header bar.
- Then click on Ok button and your widget settings are done.
- You need to activate the widget to display the Header Bar to visitors of your website.
To create a Popup box,
- Follow the first 2 steps that we have used in creating the Header Bar.
- In the promo widget customization page, choose the position of the promo widget in the middle of the page i.e, first one from left.
- Apply customization necessary and save the widget. And finally don't forget to activate it.
Check out the below images to create a widget in detail.
|Click on "create widget" and choose "promo" widget|
|Choose to position to make it either popup box or floating header|
|Click on ok and then Activate the widget|
Conclusion on Adding custom widgets to blogger
The above mentioned procedure is a hassle free procedure to maintain and change the behaviour of the blogger widgets easily. As all the widgets can be seen at one place, you can remove the useless widgets and improve the site performance.