The dream of a startup can be driven simply on a passion to innovate on an idea that will be useful to the world, and to think beyond the small size of a team or a bootstrapped budget. Example for such a startup is Truecaller. Five years ago, Truecaller was an idea of two engineers who aimed to create something new in the world of technology. Today they stand as a company of 55 international minds coming from different corners of the world to make a service that stretches every remote place of the world.
Truecaller is widely used now-a-days to trace out lot of spam calls we get daily. So, did you ever wonder How Truecaller actually works? How does it know all the phone numbers and caller ids. Scroll down to know everything about Truecaller app.
What is Truecaller?Truecaller is the world's largest mobile phone community for mobiles, and it is accessible via a Web site and applications, developed by True Software. It is an application that provides reverse phone lookup. You can find the caller id of any number in the world by Truecaller phone number search.
Truecaller is available for free download on Blackberry, iPhone, Android, Windows phones and Symbian mobiles.
TruedialerTrue Dialer is a fast and smart dialer app that provides you the instant results of the number on the dialer. It provides results from your phone book and populated unidentified numbers in your call log.
How does Truecaller app work?
The story must start from the login screen. If you have already used Truecaller, you might have seen that Truecaller only allows either Facebook, Yahoo! or Gmail to access Truecaller app. If you don't have one you cannot connect to Truecaller database. What's the reason behind making this mandatory to login using one of the social sites?
The answer is clear. Facebook, Gmail and Yahoo! are the most widely used social networking sites that contain a lot of phone numbers and other contact details. It implies that when you use one of the social sites, your entire contacts including phone numbers, contact names, email ids will be uploaded to a secure Truecaller server. In case you login to the app using your mobile phones then your entire address book will be sent to the Truecaller servers. These are organised into records and each number will be assigned a Truecaller id. When some one searches the number using Truecaller number search, the caller id associated with that number will be displayed.
- Truecaller is the most helpful app, when you are getting repeated spam calls from unknown number and you want to trace their identity.
- You can find caller from phone number. Similar to reverse phone lookup
- Truedialer also allows you to block such spam numbers and report them to Truecaller database to mark it as spam so that others may also not suffer from this number.
- Allows you to find mobile phone location of the number in phone number search.
- 'Who viewed my profile' functionality is also provided by Truecaller application. You can keep a track on who is viewing your number.
- As any information online is always vulnerable. No one can guarantee that the information is secure. This may lead to some privacy issues. Once Syrian Electronic Army claimed hacking of Truecaller database that contains millions of access codes of Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Gmail Accounts of different users worldwide, that can be used to post update from compromised Accounts.
Tweet posted by Syrian hackers. Link of compromised database in their tweet
- If someone log into Truecaller account who has your contact that you maintain as private, then it will be available to the database and will be made visible to everyone.
How to unlist Number from Truecaller
This is the an important feature of Truecaller that lets you to remove your private number from the database. Go to the below link enter phone number that you wish to unlist from Truecaller, select a reason and fill out the captcha then select unlist. Done ! your number will never again be uploaded to the server and previous records associated with your number will be deleted.
|Screenshot of unlist form in Truecaller|
Note: If you have verified your phone number, first you need to deactivate your account in the app first. And then proceed to unlisting.
How to get Caller ID on Xiaomi using Truecaller
Some of the Xiaomi phone users are facing some issues regarding Truecaller app. This section describes how to get caller id on Xiaomi phone. Before you proceed make sure that you have downloaded and installed the app from Playstore on your Xiaomi android phone.
- Go to phone settings and select general settings.
- Scroll down to bottom and select 'Apps'.
- Go to 'All Apps' or 'Downloaded apps'.
- Scroll down to bottom and select 'Truecaller' application.
- Make sure that you enable floating windows.
- Scroll down and select 'manage permissions'.
- Enable two options 'Trust this app and auto start' and select ok if it prompts.
Nothing is perfect. Inspite of its disadvantages, the over all review of Truecaller app is that its a very useful and handy to trace out spammers. I've discussed about everything you need to know about Truecaller app and how to unlist number from Truecaller. Hope this post helped you.
Did I miss anything? or Do you have any issues regarding Truecaller? then please let everyone know about it by dropping a comment below.